Monday 25 May 2009

Day 7 - Plunging into graduation

I'm going to plunge straight in to the first day with a picture of Benn so you know who I'm talking about. We're at the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA for short) and Inga and I have arrived half way through the various events that make up graduation week. Today was the Organisation Awards Parade where the entire college takes to the field to recognise the awards earned by the 4th year cadets. 4400 cadets marching on to the field, parading, collecting awards, standing around for music, some guns firing, stand up, sit down, turn around, you do the hokey-cokey.. hang on, I think I might have gotten side tracked...

I make fun but it is very important to the cadets. They're worked for four years and this week is the culmination of that; a combination of gaining their degree and their passing out parade. My only complaint was that the parade went on far too long and the weather was cold - where's my damn sun!!!!

After the parade we were taken on a tour. Now, I should point out that "Team Slikker" as Inga calls them (and she's included in that description btw) is not a small group (if you look down at Inga's German post for today you'll see a group shot; I'm the only one missing as I has alot of cameras to hold and use), so getting them around on a tour is quite a feat. The academy is quite something and is home to 4400 students at any one time, all studying for their degrees and training to be air force officers. It's quite a commitment, which is something you have to respect, even if you're a cynic like me. We finished the tour with some posing by the year crest (each year chooses its own crest and motto, which is quite cool) and what I can say is that Benn doesn't take everything too seriously - maybe there's hope for the future of the American Air Force after all :-)

That was pretty much it for Monday so off we all went to bed. Night night.

No comments: