Monday 24 September 2007

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

It's going to be me soon! Today was the first night of my evening course in "Beginners German" and it went very well, even if I say so myself! Our teacher, Daniella, was facing her very first class of students (having only accepted the job last week) and the six students she was expecting swelled to thirteen. We're a rum lot, of that there's no doubt, a mixture of young and old people, with a varierty of reasons to be learning German but the biggest reason would appear to be so that we can converse properly with family and partners. Nearly everyone has been either to Germany or Austria and everyone loves the people and the country - even Bavaria.

So we've had our first lesson which was combined with a taster session for the new arrivals and it was quite good fun. It seems alot easier learning when everyone is at the same level and we're all suffering the same problems. Now all I have to do is practice and practice and practice in the hope that eventually it actually sinks in and I'm able to finally talk to the German side of the family. Next installment is in two weeks time as teacher is running off to Hamburg. Mind you, I'm running off to Lake Konstanz and Austria next week so I'm not going to complain. I'll keep you appraised of my progress and, who knows, one day I'll produce my first German blog - just don't hold your breath!

No comments: